Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Virgin

A Virgin - a blogger virgin that is... It took me days to decide upon a title for my blog and I still feel uncertain about it. For example, I wasn't sure if it should be 'petite' or 'petit', so I just went for it and put the 'e' on the end. Really, it's my blog and I can spell what I want - how I want! Ahhhhh, such freedom and yet I feel exposed and I've only just begun. Oh my, I can see this is going to be a process - letting myself let go and putting myself 'out there' for the world to see. I'm sure it will get easier with time.

So, I came across this word "Quodlibet" in a book I'm reading and just thought it was an interesting word. So, I looked it up and it turns out that it has a couple of different meanings; they are quite different meanings at that. Let me tell you a little bit about the word:

It is a noun. Oooohhhhh, so very interesting. If you aren't sure how to pronounce it (like moi) you can go onto the Merriam -Webster Online Dictionary and click on the little symbol and it will say it outloud for you. (This, by the way is a cool little feature I discovered only today - a day of learning it has been...) Those little pronunciation spellings in dictionaries ('kwad-la-"bet) are great if you know what all the little dots and dribbles mean, but otherwise it's not so helpful; that's on my "to learn" list.

Ok, moving on. In a nutshell, from what I can tell, quodlibet means 'whatever'. From latin it translates quite literally into: quod = what and libet = freely. From another source, it is described as "a mode of academic debate or oral examination". I just liked the idea that it was some kind of discussion on what ever turns your crank. That is exactly what I wanted out of a blog.

The word over time also came to be used to describe a piece of music or several pieces arranged in such a way to be humourous for the audience. Apparantly some believe Bach to have written one....but there seems to be some debate over that too. Anyway, I don't really care about that to be quite honest!!!

Anyway, that's it for now folks. It seems I've just lost my virginity and it wasn't so bad after all!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Quodlibet said...

I'm looking forward to reading them both!

07 April, 2006 14:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home