Friday, April 07, 2006

Some Favorite Places

During my little ol' life, I've been lucky enough to have visited lots of places. I have many, many favorites, but here area few of them.

1. The shore of Grand Lake in New Brunswick by where my parents live and where I spent my childhood. We lived on the southeast side so were lucky enough to have an amazing view of the sun setting across the lake. No picture could ever do the sight justice.

2. Thousand Islands - well one of them in particular! A few years ago, I flew from Calgary to just outside Montreal with one of my very favorite people (Sue) and we stopped to visit a friend of hers who just happened to have a cottage on one of these islands. I'll never forget the feeling I had when we stepped out of the car into this forested area where we were to take a little boat out to this island. The smell of those trees was so wonderful, it was all I could do not to cry because it had been so long since I had been surrounded by trees like that. (Calgary is great, but not because of its lush forests...) It only got better when we reached the island that was home to only the one cottage. We had a great meal, great wine and great conversation followed by an amazing sunset. I stayed up late and had a solo hot tub outside while listening to the ships travel down the St. Lawrence. It was unforgettable.

3. A mountain in South Korea. A little background first: I have lived in South Korea twice. The first time I lived there was for a year (1997-1998) and then again for several months in 1999. The great thing about Korea's geography is that despite the extreme concentration of buildings and industrialization, there are these mountains (well, giant hills) that dot the entire peninsula. These mountains are protected so that there is no development on them aside from the odd temple or tourist spot. The first time I lived there we lived in an area in Inchon called Man su dong. I loved it, but really it was the armpit of the armpits of Korea. One of the things I loved about the area was this mountain that was just a few minutes walk behind our apartment where I would go for walks (climbs really) and get an incredible view of that part of the city. It was always such a peaceful place to go and get a break from the craziness and noise of the city.

4. Fundy National Park. When I lived in N.B. I used to go there as often as I could to go hiking or camping. Part of me really loves that park because it is in New Brunswick and not because it is necessarily so different from many other National Parks. What I did love was that you had not only the beauty of the big (and they are big) forested hills, but also the Bay of Fundy with its great cliffs and tidal changes. Thinking of it really makes me miss the smell of trees and water.

There are more, but that's it for now!