Sunday, January 28, 2007

Snowboarding



A couple of months ago I bought a snowboard from a friend who wanted a bigger one. I don't know how much this one was used, but it looked like new so it was a good deal. For Christmas J gave me a helmet and ski goggles and Noels gave me a lesson at COP. Yesterday before I went to the hill I bought wrist guards.


So I ran into my friend Doug on Thursday night and learned that he used to be a snowboard instructor so he went with me yesterday and instead of paying some teenager snowboard instructor at COP, I bought Doug a ticket and away we went. He was so awesome and I'm so very glad that I went with him.


It all went so much better than I would have guessed. We began with simply moving the board around with only my lead foot in the bindings and then went up the bunny hill and practiced doing the falling leaf on my heel edge (I don't know how to properly call any of this) and then again down the hill but on my toe edge.


Next we went up the chair lift and down the bigger hill where I learned how to turn both from heel side to toe side and vica versa. It was so much fun despite some falls, but really I was surprised that I did much better than I expected.


After a few hours my legs were so tired coming down the hill that they were shaking! I figured that it would be my legs that would be sore today, but nope - it is my neck and my knees. My knees are sore from falling on them (it is a surface soreness) and my neck is sore from when I fell and whacked my head on the ground - it's pretty much like whiplash. Everyone said that your butt and wrists will be sore after snowboarding but they are fine today.


Anyway, I can hardly wait to not be sore so I can go again. Really, it was the most fun I've had in ages. I was so happy that I liked it since I had already bought all the stuff (probably not the best way to take up a new sport - should really try it and THEN buy the gear!) Thanks to Doug for the lesson and laughs!

8 Comments:

Blogger CanaGal said...

It sounds like you had a good time! Is this our Doug that took you to COP, or another Doug?
See ya in less than an hour!

28 January, 2007 12:15  
Blogger CaptainFartlek said...

Snow boarding is fun, once you learn to stay upright. Did you have problems getting off the chair lift? They can be deadly!!!

28 January, 2007 15:03  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

No, I managed to stay upright getting off the chair. I almost took out one child, but he was quicker than me!

28 January, 2007 17:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh!!! I am so glad you got to go! And you're turning and everything! Now, you need to give me a call sometime and we could go together!

28 January, 2007 20:57  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

Yeah, I was thinking about you. Maybe on the weekend - depending on our schedules!

28 January, 2007 21:17  
Blogger CanaGal said...

thenes!!! How are ya!!??

how are Piper & lil Cessna doin'?

28 January, 2007 22:45  
Blogger CanaGal said...

r u going snowshoeing with us this Sunday? Marns is most likely going to join in on the excitement

01 February, 2007 08:40  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

http://pbslave.livejournal.com/

Another one. Again. Sheesh...

i love snowboarding!! I've only been once, but my butt was really sore!!!

01 February, 2007 15:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home