Monday, October 16, 2006

My Mom

My mom arrived on Wednesday to visit for a week. It's funny how one reverts back to a bit of a child...for example, I don't think I've cleaned the kitchen since she got here. She always seems to beat me to it - now as I say that, I think there is certainly some part of my brain that allows her to beat me to it! She tries to do everything for me - like fold my laundry, etc... It is very strange to have someone try to do these things for you again. I know she is enjoying the role again - it has been about 5 years since she saw both of her kids at the same time so that must be very tough, although she never says. She does always say: "'I raised you guys to be strong, independant people and look what I got - strong, independant people".
Anyway, it has been nice having her here for a bit and I'm sure it is harder for her to go than she will admit since she knows it will be a while before we see each other again. The last time I was home was a year ago August and my brother was home about a year ago so that is a long time for parents not to see their children especially when their lives are a lot less busy these days. Anyway, I look forward to the day when I have airline passes so that I can see my family more frequently.

5 Comments:

Blogger CaptainFartlek said...

moms are cool :)

17 October, 2006 09:07  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Moms always like to do stuff for us, and you know, we let them *beat* us to it. My mom, on the otherhand, likes to be pampered when she comes over...and she likes to find what is wrong with the place and constantly tell us about it. LOL. ENjoy the clean kitchen.

17 October, 2006 11:51  
Blogger pingcat said...

Don't want to be sickeningly maudlin, but cherish your mom while you have her. The older I get the wiser my poor old mom has become and the more I miss her.

17 October, 2006 20:24  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

Yeah, I really felt pretty sad this morning when I had to leave her at the airport at 0530. Sometimes I feel like a bad daughter because I have chosen to live so far away from them. I have also learned to appreciate her more and more as the years go by.

17 October, 2006 20:43  
Blogger Nanook said...

Oh sh1t, if you're a bad daughter for living across the country, what am I?!
But yes, Mom's are cool. And Pingcat hit the nail on the head, I wish I'd followed to my parents' advice a lot sooner in life than I did!

18 October, 2006 11:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home